Residential Development Permit Applications
If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10% of the requirement is requested, the application will be forwarded to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and the adjacent landowners will be notified of the public hearing by mail.
In addition to applying for a residential development permit, applicants seeking to build new homes and/or garages in Cottonwood Estates are also required to complete and submit an Architectural Controls Form:
Non-Residential Development Permit Applications
If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10 percent of the requirement is requested, the application will be forwarded to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and the adjacent landowners will be notified of the public hearing by mail.
Safety Code Permit Applications
In addition to a development permit, some projects may require additional permits for safety codes. Superior Safety Codes issues and inspects building, electrical, plumbing and gas permits on behalf of the Town of Coaldale. For more information about these permits, please consult the Superior Safety Codes website.
To apply for a subdivision, a completed application - including fees - must be submitted to the Planning and Development Department. Contacting a member of the Planning and Development team before making an application for subdivision is strongly recommended. This allows for a department representative to review and provide guidance on a potential subdivision and may help to avoid changes further along in the application process.
Development Permit Application Fees
How to Submit Your Development Permit Application
- Click and open the appropriate permit application package
- Download and save the fillable PDF permit application package to your computer
- Fill in the fillable permit application package and save to computer
- Use your Adobe application to attach your signature, or otherwise electronically sign the document
- Email the completed PDF permit application package and any PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment: The Town of Coaldale offers several convenient options for you to pay your development application fee, including online via credit card. Visit coaldale.ca/payment for more information.
Please note: properly completed permit applications take up to 5 - 7 days to process. To ensure that your application can be processed as quickly as possible, please refer to the Development Permit Application Completeness Standards as outlined in the Land Use Bylaw. Incomplete applications may take longer to process.
Checklists, Procedural Information, & Other Resources
- Development Permit Application Flowchart
- Industrial, Commercial, Institutional, and Multi-Family Development Permit Checklist
- Fire Inspection Guide
- Home Occupation FAQs
- Before You Build FAQs
- Building an Accessory Building
- Building a Fence
- Land Use Bylaw Zoning Map
- Traffic Accommodations in Work Zones