The Public can access the GIS information for the Town of Coaldale.
Use the link to view boundaries, town services, property information, infrastructure, contours, land use and hydrography.
Property Tax Payment Information
Property Taxes are due on June 30, 2019 unless you are on TIPP, the Tax Installment Payment Plan. Payments can be made in the following ways:
Town Office: Payment can be made by cash, cheque or debit payment during business hours, weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Drop box is available at the front door, 1920-17 Street. All cheques must be payable to the Town of Coaldale. Cheques are considered conditional payment until honoured. Penalities will apply for any dishonoured payment. All payments will be applied firstly to arrears of taxes and secondly to current taxes.
Financial Institutions, Online and/or Telephone Banking: Payment can be made at most chartered banks, trust companies, credit unions and Alberta Treasury Branches. Payments are made in-person, via the telephone or if you have internet access, you can pay your bill online. From your financial institution’s online banking site, locate the Town of Coaldale(taxes) as the payee and your tax roll number will be the account number. Please note that it will take up to three business days to process these type of payments. Plan your payment accordingly to meet any deadlines.
Post-dated Cheques: Cheques must be dated on or before June 30 to avoid tax penalties.
Mail: Mail payment to the Town of Coaldale, 1920-17 Street, Coaldale, AB, T1M 1M1. The effective date of payment will be the date of the postmark by Canada Post. If this is absent or illegible, the effective date of payment will be the actual date of receipt by the Town of Coaldale. The imprint of a postage meter is not acceptable proof of the date of mailing.
TIPP-Tax Installment Payment Plan: Monthly penalty-exempt pre-authorized property tax payment plans are available. Persons using this plan make 12 equal monthly payments instead of one annual lump sum payment on the tax due date. Applications are accepted for the the TIPP program up to and including May 31 of each year. For additional information please contact the Tax Specialist at 403-345-1317.
Here you’ll find information on municipal property assessment and taxation in the Town of Coaldale, including assessment rules and procedures, downloadable forms and contact information.
- The Town of Coaldale sets its residential and commercial mill rate each spring;
- Tax notices are mailed out before the end of May;
- Taxes are due on June 30 and can be paid monthly using our Tax Installment Payment Program (TIPP);
- If your address changes, please fill out the Change of Address Form and let us know.
- Non-receipt of your property tax bill does not exempt you from late payment penalties. If you have not received your property tax bill please phone the Town Office at 403-345-1300.
- When you purchase a property, adjustments for taxes are made between the vendor and purchaser.
Have questions? View the 2019 Tax Brochure for more information.
Please contact the Town office at 403-345-1300 with questions about your property taxes.
How we determine what you owe:
The amount you pay in property tax is determined by two primary factors: property assessment and mill rate.
- Property assessment, simply defined, is the determination of the market value of a residential or commercial property. The Government of Alberta mandates that an independent, registered and impartial firm determine the assessment value of a property. The Town of Coaldale has no role in the process or determination of a property’s assessment.
- The mill rate is defined by the amount of tax owed per (one) thousand dollars of property value. Once the market value of a property is established, a mill rate is applied to that property’s assessment to determine what is owed in taxes each year. In Coaldale, as with most other municipalities, there is a separate mill rate for residential and commercial properties.
- A Recreation Tax Levy will apply to each developed residential parcel of land within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Coaldale, at a rate of $120 per developed residential parcel of land. This special recreation tax levy will fund the design and construction of a recreation facility within the Town of Coaldale.
Coaldale’s Property Tax Mill Rate
Not only does the Town collect taxes for Coaldale’s revenue, but the Town is legislated to collect additional taxes on behalf of the Government of Alberta. In addition to the municipal portion, the Town collects a levy for Education, Green Acres Foundation and Family and Community Support Services- FCSS. The taxes owed from these levies are not subject to control or review by the Town of Coaldale; the proportion a taxpayer owes to each category is based upon a separate mill rate established by the Province that the Town collects on the Government of Alberta’s behalf.
Below is a summary of the 2019 property tax mill rates and how they compare to 2018. To help offset the costs of the recreation tax levy ($120 per developed residential parcel), the municipal portion of the mill rate for 2019 has reduced by 1.58% and a 0% change has been budgeted for 2020.
Residents owning a residence or business in Alberta can register an assessment complaint should they deem an assessment unfair. Information about taxes and the assessment appeal process is available at the Alberta Municipal Affairs Website. Click here to download the Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization form. Have a complaint? Download the Assessment Review Board Complaint Form.
For more information about your property assessment, contact Benchmark Assessments at 403-381-0535.
Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program
For information about the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program, contact Alberta Supports Contract Centre toll-free at 1-877-644-9992. Information can also be found online at www.seniors.alberta.ca/seniors/property-tax-deferral.html.
Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPP)
The Town of Coaldale’s Tax Installment Payment Plan, also known as TIPP, allows Town residents to pay their property taxes in monthly instalments by pre-authorized transfer of funds from their bank account, rather than in one single tax payment. Find all you need to know about TIPP, including an application form, by downloading the Coaldale TIPP document.
School Support Declarations
If you wish to declare your support for a particular school board, you can print out the following form and submit it to the Town of Coaldale.
For additional information please Contact the Town of Coaldale.