Development Permit Information and Applications

Development Applications

A development permit is required for most new construction and changes in land use zoning. A development permit ensures that new development in the Town of Coaldale is well-suited to the surrounding area and meets the requirements of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw. Please review the FAQs brochure and the Land Use Bylaw Zoning Map to learn more about what you should know before applying for a development permit. 

Development Permit Application Flowchart

Application Forms:

Please review the Development Fees before submitting an application form.

All development forms are fillable PDFs and can be submitted online. Please see the instructions below for submitting your application form electronically and making payments.

If you are unable to submit your application in a PDF format, hard copy applications may be submitted at the Town office at 1920 - 17th Street.




How to submit your permit application electronically:

  1. Click and open the appropriate permit application package
  2. Download and save the fillable PDF permit application package to your computer
  3. Fill in the fillable permit application package and save to computer
  4. Use your Adobe application to attach your signature, or otherwise electronically sign the document
  5. Email the completed PDF permit application package and any PDF attachments to
  6. Payment: The Town of Coaldale offers several convenient options for you to pay your development application fee, including online via credit card. Visit for more information.


Please note, properly completed permit applications take up to 5 - 7 days to process. To ensure that your application can be processed as quickly as possible, please refer to the Development Permit Application Completeness Standards as outlined in the Land Use Bylaw. Incomplete applications may take longer to process. 

In addition to a development permit, some projects may require additional permits for safety codes. Superior Safety Codes issues and inspects building, electrical, plumbing and gas permits on behalf of the Town of Coaldale. For more information about these permits, please consult the Superior Safety Codes website.

If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10 percent of the requirement is requested, the application will be forwarded to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and the adjacent landowners will be notified of the public hearing by mail. The MPC meets on the second Wednesday of every month. Please consult our meeting schedule and the MPC Meeting Agenda for more information.


Development Appeals Process

If your development application does not comply with the Land Use Bylaw standards or is outside of the scope of what the Designated Officer can approve, the application will be referred to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for a decision.

If the waiver required exceeds 10 percent of any measurable standard in the Land Use Bylaw or the applicant requests more than one (1) minor waiver, the Designated Officer shall refer the application to the MPC for a decision.

For a development permit considered to be a discretionary use in accordance with the Land Use Bylaw, the Designated Officer shall refer the application to the MPC for a decision.

Any person applying for a development permit or any other person affected by an order, decision, or development permit made or issued by the Designated Officer or Municipal Planning Commission, may appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board in accordance with the appropriate section(s) detailed in the Municipal Government Act.