Development, Licensing, and Permits

Developing in Coaldale

A development permit is required for most new construction and changes in land use zoning. A development permit ensures that new development in the Town of Coaldale is well-suited to the surrounding area and meets the requirements of the town’s Land Use Bylaw.

Most construction, signs, and business licenses require a development permit, though some types of development do not. In addition to a development permit, some projects may require additional permits for safety codes. Superior Safety Codes Inc. issues and inspects building, electrical, plumbing and gas permits on behalf of the Town of Coaldale. For more information about these permits, please consult the Superior Safety Codes website.

When applying for a development permit, you will need to complete an application form. (Refer to the Development Forms & Fees page for the application cost). You must submit a duplicate set of plans and any other documentation required to process your application, such as a site plan and elevation drawings. If your application is approved, the stamped set of drawings will be returned to you with your permit. Incomplete forms or missing information will delay the processing of your application.

If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10 percent of the requirement is requested, the application will be forwarded to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and the adjacent landowners will be notified of the public hearing by mail. The MPC meets on the second Wednesday of every month. Please consult our meeting schedule for more information and consult the MPC Meeting Agenda.

Quick Links

The Town of Coaldale’s Planning and Development department often sends out letters to surrounding property owners when a new development is being considered in their area. In order to address this letter, the department pulls the mailing information from Alberta Land Titles. Property owners are responsible for ensuring their mailing information is up to date with land titles. 

Contact Information

For Questions or Information on Development:

Cameron Mills, Manager of Economic Development

Phone: 403.345.1370 Email:

For Questions or Information on Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas Permits:

Superior Safety Codes Inc. 422 Mayor Magrath Dr N Lethbridge, AB T1H 6E7 

Phone: 403.320.0734 Email:

For Questions or Information on Planning and Subdivision:

Oldman River Regional Services Commission Ryan Dyck— Planner 3105–16 Ave N Lethbridge, AB T1H 5E8 

Phone: 403.329.1344 Email: