EVERY business, trade, profession, industry, occupation, employment or calling that provides a good and/or service within, or partially within the Town of Coaldale requires a business license or permit. Some exceptions apply.
- A business carried on or operated by or on behalf of the Town of Coaldale;
- A charitable/non-profit organization;
- A business that, from time to time, may be exempted as Council by Resolution;
- A business carried on by the Government of Alberta or the Government of Canada;
- A business exempted from municipal licensing requirements by provincial or federal legislation;
- A business located in and possessing a valid business license in any municipality signed to the Reciprocal Business Licensing Agreement
Reciprocal Business License
If your business holds a valid business license AND is located in Barons, Coaldale, Coalhurst, Magrath, Nobleford, Picture Butte, Raymond or Stirling, and you hold a business license within one of the participating communities, your business is authorized to conduct business in ALL these municipalities subject to the Memorandum of Understanding each municipality has signed.
Business Licensing for Home-Based Business
ANY occupation, trade, profession or craft carried on for-profit as a secondary use to residential use of any building in the Town of Coaldale constitutes as a “Home Occupation.” In this case, a business license for a home-based business is required, and a Home Occupation Application must be completed and submitted to the Town’s development officer with the appropriate fee. A clear description of the business is required as part of the application. See the Town of Coaldale’s Home Occupation FAQs sheet for additional details.
If your business is located in the Town of Coaldale:
- Zoning Annual Fee Commercial, Industrial, Institutional/Recreational: $60.00
- Home Occupation #1 (Home office): $100.00
- Home Occupation #2 (Customers come to the home): $175.00
If your business is located outside the Town of Coaldale:
- Daily: $20.00
- Monthly: $100.00
- Annual: $300.00
Is there anything else I should know?
- Any advertising for a business operating in the Town of Coaldale is deemed proof of business conduct in the Town of Coaldale.
- An approved development permit is required for all businesses located in the Town of Coaldale.
- A business license will be mailed to new applicants at the end of the same month in which the business license was purchased.
- Payment is required to begin the development permit or business licensing process.
For help with any aspect of the business licensing process, contact the Town’s business licensing officer or the development officer through the coordinates found in the Contact section.