Find information on available utilities and services, who provides them and how to access them.
The Town of Coaldale Utilities Department is now offering e-bill service. To sign up for e-billing please fill in the e-bill service agreement form and return it to the Town office or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Customers can also phone the Town Office at 403-345-1300 and sign up. Please have either your account number or address ready when calling.
The town office is open 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
Open later on Thursday evenings until 6 p.m.
Utility Rate Update Information Sheet: Utility rate increase as of June 1, 2016
The Town of Coaldale receives its drinkable water supply from the City of Lethbridge. After the Town closed its water treatment facility in fall 1999, a large underground pipeline from Lethbridge to Coaldale was constructed. The current water rates are as follows:
- Residential rate: $21.10/month + $1.00 per cubic metre of consumption
- Commercial rate: $21.10/month +$1.00 per cubic metre of consumption
- Out-of-town rate: $31.80/month + $2.59 per cubic metre used
- Bulk water rate (per cubic metre): $3.35
- Applications for bulk water accounts are available at the Town Shop
- The Town’s bulk water station no longer accepts coins
- Residential and commercial requests to turn on/off water service shall result in a fee of $50.00, payable to the Town of Coaldale
- Residents should review the Town’s two-page information sheet on water metres and usage for further information
Coaldale uses a passive sewer treatment system to handle its wastewater needs. Over a series of lagoons, or “cells,” wastewater is gradually processed, treated, tested and released back into the local river system. Throughout this process, oxygen is pumped into each cell, feeding the organisms that destroy bacteria. A treatment cycle lasts 43 days, and avoids the use of chemicals which over time can disrupt local ecosystems.
Recently, the Town purchased and installed a series of windmills; they power the pumps circulating oxygen into the wastewater holding cells.
The current per cubic metre fees for wastewater disposal are as follows:
- Residential and commercial rate: $14.33/month + $0.973 per cubic metre (based on the average water consumption of the winter months)
- $6.44/month storm drainage surcharge
- Out-of-town rate: $15.77 + $1.06 per cubic metre
For useful tips and suggestions on drainage issues, review the two-page document How to Keep Your Basement Dry.
Coaldale handles its solid waste disposal through a curbside garbage pickup service. Each residence is assigned a large black garbage container, emptied once per week. Waste contents are taken to the City of Lethbridge’s landfill facility.
- Residential: $25.00/month, one (1) pickup per week
- Commercial: $50.00/month, includes two (2) pickups per week, with additional pickups at a cost of $25.00 per additional pickup.
Waste transfer station:
- Find information about the nearest transfer station, located in the Town of Coaldale, including hours of operation, in this handy two-page information sheet.
- The Town of Coaldale’s curbside garbage and recycling pickup schedule can be found here.
Holiday collection schedule: Garbage collection is only rescheduled on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, when the collection will be the day before. All other holidays during the year the collection days stay on the regular schedule.
October 1, 2012 marked the start of Coaldale’s curbside recycling service. With this service, each household receives a blue recycling bin, equal in size to the black household garbage bins. Blue bins should be used for all recyclable materials. Recycling is collected from residential households once per week, though on a separate day from garbage collection. The Town is excited about this program because of its many benefits, including:
- Convenience: Curbside recycling allows residents to dispose of their recyclable materials, in one bin, without having to transport materials to a central location;
- Stewardship: Recycling is better for the environment as it reduces waste as well as the waste disposed in landfills, which is better for the environment; and,
- Savings: By reducing waste, the Town of Coaldale can significantly decrease its tipping fees and, as a direct result, the cost to taxpayers. Also, by contracting out garbage and recycling collection services, additional and costly infrastructure expenses can be saved while Town staff can better focus on other priorities.
Curbside Recycling Rates (2012)
- Residential: $3.07/month
- Commercial: $6.24/month
For more information about what can be put into the blue bins and what cannot, please checkout our curbside recycling handout.
- The Town of Coaldale’s curbside recycling and garbage pickup schedule can be found here.
Holiday collection schedule: Recycling collection is only rescheduled on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, when the collection will be the day before. All other holidays during the year the collection days stay on the regular schedule.
The Town provides a recycling drop-off depot at 1421- 13 Street, open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Accepted at this depot are fridges, stoves, microwaves, computers, cardboard, newspaper and other household recyclable materials. This depot DOES NOT accept paint, paint cans, used oil, yard waste, furniture, demolition materials, etc.
Residents looking to compost leaves and grass clippings can drop these items off behind the Town Shop- 1408-13 Street, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Items will not be accepted in bags unless the bags are biodegradable.
The Town provides snow removal for residents based on a route priority system. High priority areas include all routes used by Emergency Vehicles and access to local Schools. To find out more information on plowing routes please view the Town’s Snow Removal Priority Map.
Each spring, the Town provides a Paint Roundup drop-off site. Residents are able to disposal of old paint and aerosol paint. The date and location of Coaldale’s annual Paint Roundup service is published in the Town’s Coaldale Connection newsletter, on our website and in the local newspaper.
In lieu of its traditional Spring Cleanup service, the Town has initiated a coupon voucher system to help offset the cost to dispose of additional waste. Instead of having Town crews collect waste from alleys once per year—a program which proved to be both time consuming and costly, unsightly and prone to unforeseen weather delays—the Town has purchased landfill coupons/tokens to cover the City of Lethbridge’s disposal fees.
These coupons can be used by residents to dispose of additional waste that typically follows spring cleanup, household renovations and other “deep cleans.” Common items that are taken to landfills include: old furniture, scraps of lumber, household garbage, demolition materials from home renovations, broken up concrete, and the like. The goal of this program is to make spring cleanup and other residential maintenance more convenient and affordable for residents. Additionally, the coupon service can be utilized year round, so home renovations do not have to coincide with an annual, and at times unpredictable, cleanup schedule.
Here’s how it works:
- Each residence in Coaldale will receive three coupons per year
- Coupons cover the disposal of 250 kilograms of waste and can be picked up from the Town office
- Coupons must be presented to personnel at the City of Lethbridge’s landfill weigh scale
- One load per coupon
- All loads must be tarped, covered and tied down as per City of Lethbridge requirements
- No hazardous waste is permitted
- Disposal does not include environmental charges
- Coupons not available to residents who don’t receive waste services from the Town
For hours of operation or other details, please contact the City of Lethbridge Regional Landfill. Should you have any questions or would like more about this program, please contact 403.345.1350. Landfill coupons are available for pickup at the Town office.
In the Town, electricity is sold and distributed by:
141-50 Avenue, S.E.
Calgary, AB T2G 4S7
Phone: 403.310.3010 or 1.877.571.7111
Box 880, Station M
Calgary, AB T2P 5H7
FORTIS Alberta Inc.
In the Town, natural gas is sold and distributed by:
Natural Gas Retailers
141- 50 Avenue, S.E.
Calgary, AB T2G 4S7
Phone: 403.310.3010 or 1.877.571.7111
Natural Gas Distributor
410 Stafford Drive
Lethbridge, AB T1H 2A9
Telephone service is provided by:
Unit 101-1232 3 Avenue South
Lethbridge, AB T1J 0J9
808—4 Avenue South
Lethbridge, AB T1J 0P2