Planning and Development

The Town of Coaldale’s Planning and Development department often sends out letters to surrounding property owners when a development is being considered in their area. In order to address these letter the department pulls the mailing information from Alberta Land Titles. Property owners are responsible for ensuring their mailing information is up to date with land titles. If you require information on how to update your information CLICK HERE or stop in at the Town Office.

Developing in Coaldale

A Development Permit is required for most new construction and changes of land use.  A development permit ensures that new development in the Town of Coaldale is well-suited to the surrounding area and meets the requirements of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw.

Most construction, signs and business licensing require a development permit, though some types of development do not.  In addition to a development permit, some projects may require additional permits for safety codes.  Superior Safety Codes Inc. issues and inspects building, electrical, plumbing and gas permits on behalf of the Town of Coaldale.  For more information about these permits, please consult the Superior Safety Codes website.

When applying for a development permit, you will need to complete an application form.  (Refer to the Fee Schedule subpage for the application cost).  You must submit a duplicate set of plans and any other documentation required to process your application, such as a site plan and elevation drawings.  If your application is approved, the stamped set of drawings will be returned to you with your permit. Incomplete forms or missing information will delay processing of your application.

If a proposed use is listed as discretionary within the applicable land use district or a waiver beyond 10 per cent of the requirement is requested, the application will be forwarded to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) for consideration and the adjacent landowners will be notified of the public hearing by mail.  The MPC meets on the second Wednesday of every month.  Please consult our meeting schedule for more information.

Sustainability in Coaldale

Contact information

For Questions or Information on Development:

Town of Coaldale
Cindy L’Hirondelle — Development Manager
1920 – 17 Street
Coaldale, AB  T1M 1M1
Phone:  403.345.1337

For Questions or Information on Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas Permits:

Superior Safety Codes Inc.
422 Mayor Magrath Dr N
Lethbridge, AB  T1H 6E7
Phone:  403.320.0734

For Questions or Information on Planning and Subdivision:

Oldman River Regional Services Commission
Ryan Dyck — Planner
3105–16 Ave N
Lethbridge, AB  T1H 5E8
Phone:  403.329.1344